Detailed poster information

Back to list

Poster title MBR - The Corner Stone Of Water Reuse Adoption
Poster code P 2.03
  1. Sylvain DONNAZ Suez International Treatment Infrastructure Presenter
  2. Stephen Katz SUEZ Water Technologies & Solutions
  3. Miguel-Angel Sanz SUEZ INTERNATIONAL
Form of presentation Poster
  • 2. Adopting water reuse
    • 2.03 Market acceptance of reuse solutions
Abstract text Membrane Biological Reactor (MBR) is a widespread and ultimate technology in the field of wastewater treatment for Biological Nutrient Removal (BNR) as secondary stage. The MBR technology has also widely imposed itself when it comes to provide very high and reliable water quality (as such as tertiary stage), very low enclosed footprint and advanced architectural integration.
The growing needs in megacities for environmental integration with advanced odors management, retrofitting-extension of existing infrastructures and water reuse schemes tend to promote MBR as the most effective, efficient and sustainable solution.
In certain regions with hydric stress, the development of water reuse has promoted the MBR technology because of its outstanding water quality, reliability and performance.
This paper will highlight and describe some of the best MBR integration when coupled within water reuse flowsheet worldwide: several in the USA, France, Mexico and China.

In the West Texas City of Abilene (USA) has been in operation since January of 2015: the Hamby WRF Indirect Potable Reuse Project (12 MGD). The treatment flowsheet includes MBR technology, with 60% of the filtrate treated with reverse osmosis, and the other 40% treated through ozone oxidation and biologically active filtration.
The Brightwater Wastewater Treatment Facility (117 MLD daily average flow to 217 MLD peak hourly flow) has been commissioned in September 2011. King County’s Wastewater Treatment Division services about 1.4 million people in the Seattle, Washington area (USA).
The Huai Fang Water Reclamation Plant project (located South of Beijing) has chosen the MBR technology (600 MLD; handling the wastewater produced by over 3 million people) equipped with the ultrafiltration-membrane bioreactor technology and ozone system used to treat the wastewater to produce optimum quality water, thereby contributing to the conservation of the natural environment receiving the outflow. At ground level, an artificial water lake uses reclaimed water for enhancing the natural environment. The effluent quality of the plant is designed to achieve "the urban sewage treatment plant water pollutant discharge standards of Beijing" (DB11/890-2012) requirements. The wastewater treated by the Huai Fang plant can be re-used for city management projects or discharged into wetland and watercourse. This plant, that is built underground, improves the quality of the water environment and produce sound environmental benefits in Beijing southwest region.
The Achères Biosav project (located downstream of the Paris’ Seine river, one of the largest WWTP in the world; 250 MLD of UFMBR) has chosen to integrate the ultrafiltration MBR technology in hybrid configuration together with its existing secondary process (BAF). Designed in hybrid configuration (BAF + MBR) to improve the membranes’ capital cost (CAPEX), the global energy efficiency (OPEX) and the final treated water quality. While treating 13% to 17% of the total flow (250,000 m3/d @95%ile), the MBR treatment line guarantees 95%ile Total Suspended Solids (TSS) of 1 mg/L, Biological Oxygen Demand (BOD) of 5 ppm Total Nitrogen (TN) of 10 mg/L and Total Phosphorus (TP) of 0.3 mg/L. The combination of both technologies allows extending the treatment capacity of the plants within a limited footprint to improve and preserve the surface water receiving body. In addition, MBR technology provides an excellent water quality, which is used by ancillaries in the entire Achères plant as industrial water.
The Chapultepec Mexico City MBR project (15 MLD; 105,000 PE) implements Indirect Potable Reuse scheme using UFMBR for multipurpose water reuse. UFMBR is combine with UF-RO-UV for groundwater recharge.